18 August 2009

Camel What?

Another Monday; another ad for you thirsty, thirty or so kandy addicts (yep that's how many regular visitors I get. Can you tell your bloody friends how awesome this site is? Don't you people have friends?)

Anyway, I'll put the emotional blackmail aside for now and throw this ad from Honda at you:


At first glance, this ad from Honda is pretty clever!

An essential message for their business is being advertised: use only Honda parts for Honda vehicles. And they seemingly worked the message into an ad with humour, fun and even a bit of the constantly female-endorsed 'cute factor' ('cuz who doesn't love camels (right, Joe?)).
Very nice and light hearted.
Makes sense, right?

I thought so. But then I got to thinking about the ad, and my brain, as it tends to do, started smashing the implications of the ad around all four corners of my otherwise empty head...

You know what it came up with? This is actually a pretty controversial ad!

Honda, what are you REALLY saying here?
1) What exactly happened to this dude to make him need spare body parts? (Did he crash one of your motorbikes? That's something I should definitely not be thinking about that after seeing your ad!)
2) The guy has replaced his for-some-reason damaged body parts with animal parts, yes?
3) So Honda, what you're saying is you do not agree that this man should use animal parts to replace his implied non-functioning body parts? Ok, fair enough.
4) Honda instead suggests that one should use original parts--does that mean cloning? Stem cells? Or going to the underground body part market?

I came out thinking Honda vehicles will make you lose body parts, and Honda supports cloning, stem cell regeneration, etc for you to get back to your good old pre-Honda self.

Maybe I'm being silly, but this is what I thought about after seeing that ad. And ads are all about manipulating thought and creating associations in favour of your product and brand.
And Honda, what I saw was disaster...

Seeing your ad was love at first sight.
But then after living with it for a while, I became more and more wary.
You make me feel as though I may now know what married people are always on about...

Tell me, am I overthinking it and knocking Honda for the sake of it? Is this actually a pretty good ad?
I can't tell.
Leave a comment with your thoughts below.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think you need to replace your brain. get a good one this time pls.

Unknown said...

Ads that sell are the ones that you look at and at first glance something about it stands out, something instantly clicks and makes SOME sort of impression or impact.

I looked at this ad and thought.. Ohhhh Ok. What?

Interpretation is great, and even needed. But when you don't understand or even know what to think, it's hard to form an opinion, at least one that you won't be wary about.